Figuring out how much to spend while moving to the State of New York will help you decide whether you need to move ahead or not. However, there can be reasons that you are relocating to New York and maybe the costs won’t impact your decision but it would help plan better. And our intention is to give you an idea about how much a moving company in New York will charge you.
As the first step, you need to know the different factors that determine the moving cost the volume of stuff you have, time and distance, and miscellaneous costs.
So how much does it cost to move and how can we negotiate to bring it down further?
Let us discuss it further.
What is an average moving cost?
A local-distance moving to New York will cost on average $2,400 – $5,000 depending on the size of the move and the distance. While a 1-bedroom home will require you spend between $850 and $2,500, a 4-bedroom home may even cost you above $8,400, but that is also based on the distance you cover (sometimes cross country). And you need to remember that these are all approximate costs and would vary based on different factors and moving companies to New York you hire.
Why do you say that estimating the moving cost is tricky?
A long-distance moving company will consider many factors in deciding the moving cost and there is no fixed rule book relating to it.
Let’s take a look at some of the common factors that a mover in New York will consider.
- Travel fees: This includes fuel costs, as well as labor costs for the time it will take for the movers to get from house A to house B.
- Size of the move: The volume of household items that you move to the new home is crucial in determining the moving cost. The more stuff you have, the moving will be costlier.
- Packing services: While convenient, hiring a moving company to pack your household items will add up to the moving cost.
- Moving add-ons: On the moving day, you may require the professionals to take up additional services, which mean disassembling and reassembling furniture, moving of specialty items, and moving supplies provided by movers such as stretch wrap, felt pads and mattress bags. This will be added to the moving cost.
- Storage service: While moving to a smaller house in New York, you may need additional storage space to keep your stuff safe for a few months. You can ask the mover to New York whether it provides a storage unit for rent.
- Moving date: The day you prefer moving to the new home is highly crucial in determining the moving cost. As most people prefer moving in summer, for the bright sunny days, the movers to New York will be pre-booked and your chance to get a discount is less. However, while moving in winter, you will get a good discount as there will be less traffic.
Is it possible to bring down the moving cost?
You may want to move at a discounted rate. And this is possible when you are able to negotiate with the moving company to New York. Here are a few tips to bring down the moving cost.
- Get rid of your excess belongings
- Get free moving boxes
- Avail multiple moving costs
- Remove the services from the quote you don’t need
- Compromise on the moving date
- Find if the moving costs are tax-deductible
While you hire a moving company in New York, it is possible to move conveniently. But you also need to confirm that the quote you receive is pocket-friendly.